The construction industry has lagged behind others in terms of
In recent years, however, the construction industry has seen something of a tech boom, with several emerging technologies offering huge benefits to the industry.
Why the need for emerging tech?
There are many challenges in the construction industry today that can be addressed with technological or digital advances.
- Heavy manual labor and a high potential for worker injuries
- Disconnected project teams that struggle to communicate efficiently, largely due to reliance on older tech such as spreadsheets and physical paper
- Frequent time-consuming and expensive travel by stakeholders to the
- Increased—and unmet—expectations of clients for speed, efficiency, and quality as everything else in the world is speeding up
The hurdles all add up to poor productivity, causing construction project budget and time overruns, and unhappy clients.
Technology solutions transforming the industry
With so many challenges in the construction industry today, there are countless opportunities for problem-solving tech solutions. Here are some of the emerging technologies that construction firms today are beginning to embrace (or are soon to come on the horizon):
- Robotics and automation eliminate dangerous manual or repetitive work, decrease injuries and accidents, save time. These options also increase precision for complex designs and intricate work.
- Similarly, wearable exoskeletons are designed to help workers perform difficult, heavy, and dangerous jobs much easier, reducing injuries and improving efficiency.
- Drones are being used to map construction sites, streamline safety inspections, and provide absolute accuracy in measurements.
- Project collaboration tools have begun streamlining communications among project stakeholders and centralizing all project data for quick access.
- Emerging virtual and augmented reality technologies take digital collaboration further, creating an immersive
jobsiteenvironment for stakeholders to visit remotely, allowing for real-time decision making, reduced travel andmuch faster communication.